[linux-audio-user] Re: Gnome Wave Cleaner

Mike Jewell mj405 at oneupaudio.com
Tue Aug 9 10:31:19 EDT 2005

Thanks for trying, Fernando.  If I lived closer (than N. Idaho) I'd come
down there and sweep the floors or restore user's files from backup to
give you a little time to do more of the great work you've done putting
Planet CCRMA together so "Linux challenged" users like me can do more
music and less computer.  I did CAD application and OS support for 15
years at HP/Agilent and I know how little time there is left over after
just keeping the wheels on!  Hang in there.   8^)

Here's more of a philosophical question.  Can someone help me understand
why installing an app like Gnome Wave Cleaner on a "standard", clean
Linux distribution like my Fedora Core 3 from CCRMA is so d??n
difficult?  Shouldn't all these libraries, etc just already be there?  I
can maybe understand the unusual ones like "fftw" (Fastest Fourier
Transform in the West) but why all the missing Gnome components?  It's
probably only me that's missing something but it seems to me that Linux
is never going to become even close to mainstream (maybe we don't want
it to be mainstream) until it gets a good, consistent across all
distros, way of installing apps that just works.

I love using Linux and, as always, I'm open to feedback, suggestions,
education, etc.  (Especially education!)   8^)

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Jewell
One-Up Audio