[linux-audio-user] Suggested laser printer for score printing?

Mr. Spock spock at canopus22.demon.co.uk
Fri Aug 12 17:32:18 EDT 2005

Hello,

[I've just delurked and re-enabled Mail Delivery for this list for a
while to ask this question; there's usually too much traffic for me
to keep up nowadays, sadly.]

I Googled and looked at the archives but there's not much here about
printing music notation. I'm needing to buy a printer that will be
ideal for score printing and also plays well with Debian/DeMuDi.
Since I don't really need colour, I'd prefer a laser printer.
I'll stick with black+white A4 for now for cost reasons -
I'm looking to spend about 200-300 UK pounds (about $300-500) max.

I've not yet used Lilypond or any other scoring software, but believe
that Postscript is a major plus. I know that Ghostscript exists to
convert Postscript documents, but figure that if my printer natively
understands PS it will be quicker and save processor time.
Is Postscript Level 3 required, or will Level 2 suffice? PJL? PCL5?
I also want a networkable one to share over my (wired) LAN.

I've looked at the very informative pages about Linux Printing:

http://www.linuxprinting.org/suggested.html

...and am considering getting a Kyocera Mita FS-920, FS-1010N or FS1020
or maybe something else by another penguin-loving company.

Since I do have a fondness for old lo-tech gear, I did entertain ideas
about a refurbished HP LaserJet 4 or 5 (fond memories from college days)
after the high praise these old tanks got on Slashdot a while ago, but
am thinking they may be a bit slow/tired compared to modern kit. My main
considerations are reliability, build-quality, cost-per-page, speed and
looks. I won't be printing reams and reams, and I can always manually
re-enter pages to do duplex (both sides) printing.

Sorry if this seems Off-Topic, but I wanted to check firstly that
a Postscript mono-laser is a good choice for music. If necessary I'll
take the discussion elsewhere to ask about specific models, unless
anyone here has any good recommendations/horror stories to share.

Thanks for your suggestions,
--
Malcolm Smith
http://www.canopus22.demon.co.uk/