[linux-audio-user] Suggested laser printer for score printing?

ross at jose.lug.udel.edu ross at jose.lug.udel.edu
Fri Aug 12 19:21:03 EDT 2005

On Fri, Aug 12, 2005 at 10:32:18PM +0100, Mr. Spock wrote:
> Since I do have a fondness for old lo-tech gear, I did entertain ideas
> about a refurbished HP LaserJet 4 or 5 (fond memories from college days)
> after the high praise these old tanks got on Slashdot a while ago, but
> am thinking they may be a bit slow/tired compared to modern kit. My main
> considerations are reliability, build-quality, cost-per-page, speed and
> looks. I won't be printing reams and reams, and I can always manually
> re-enter pages to do duplex (both sides) printing.

If an HP LaserJet 4/5 isn't good enough for your score printing, you
must be into mass-producing plate-quality scores.

I have a LaserJet 5SiMX (that's with the PS add-on) and it's amazing.
600dpi, duplex printing, and a 250k page duty cycle.

You can often find them in needing their routing maintainence - every
250k pages, they need to have the rollers cleaned/replaced, change the
drum, etc.

There's no way anyone's newer SOHO crap kit can touch my printer.  And
the best part?  Toner carts are rated to be changed once per
maintainence cycle.  As I will very doubtfully ever print 125,000
pages, I have no need to ever buy another printer supply.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at lug.udel.edu

man in the bonds of Hell."