More on usability issues, was Re: [linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

Erik Steffl steffl at bigfoot.com
Mon Aug 15 10:24:49 EDT 2005

Lee Revell wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-08-14 at 18:24 -0400, Dave Phillips wrote:
>
>>Happily I've never suffered a damaged file in Linux. But I'm plenty
>>wary when it comes to 3D video driver support in Linux (I use nVidia's
>>own driver on my desktop machine).
>

> Why are you all running these closed source 3D drivers anyway?  Are you
> all so hooked on Quake 3 or Unreal Tournament or whatever that you HAVE
> to play it on your audio workstation?

   I guess it's xscreensaver:-) There's number of programs that use
opengl that one might want to use, specially if the computer is not
strictly for audio, just look which packages depend on openGL libs, few
examples from debian unstable: mplayer, snd-gtk, rezound, xine,
kino-timfx, alsaplayer-gtk, cdbakeoven etc. It's not just for the
games... (then again lot of non-game software that requires openGL would
probably work fairly well with software only openGL).

	erik