[linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Mon Aug 15 17:00:05 EDT 2005

davidrclark at earthlink.net wrote:
> Hi again Ron,
>
> On another topic, you posted:
>

>>Or why does Linux only require one cold reboot for
>>every 10 or 20 of Mac OS 9?
>

> My experience has been that Linux audio requires 10 to 20 times as many
> reboots as Windows audio, the opposite of all other applications.  The
> Linux kernels themselves, if left alone, are very stable.

it's pretty hard to get a linux audio system built for one's specific
hardware and distribution ... in my experience, fedora core offers the
easiest access. even still, it took me *ages* till i could even get
CCRMA up and running. but now that i have ...

my machine hasn't frozen in months ... the only reason i *do* reboot is
because that has been genetically programmed into me by a few years of
Windows use ... i just can't help it. on my current machine, i've never
experienced such stability.

what's more, using ardour and hydrogen is *so* damned easy, and the
shitty music i make sounds *so* much less shitty through linux audio
production than it did on windows.

and, hey - i'm by no means a talented hacker/programmer/whatever ...

the one lasting - and enslaving - legacy from the months of work trying
to get linux audio happening, is that i can't give up the quest ... i'm
constantly putting myself in a position of updating/compiling/patching
etc ... it's sort of like the insane and endless quest for *every* vst
plugin that i succumbed to while using windows (believe me, though, that
was a lot more counterproductive).

shayne