[linux-audio-user] VST Plugins Revisited (Again)

ix at replic.net ix at replic.net
Mon Aug 15 17:41:43 EDT 2005

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 04:49:21PM -0400, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-08-15 at 16:42 -0400, davidrclark at earthlink.net wrote:
> > My experience has been that Linux audio requires 10 to 20 times as
> > many reboots as Windows audio, the opposite of all other applications.
> > The Linux kernels themselves, if left alone, are very stable.
>
> Sorry dude, this is almost certainly PEBKAC.  What piece of shit
> hardware are you running that you need to reboot Linux more than
> Windows?

when i only had 512 mb of ram this was definitely the case, even with 2x as much swap as ram, the only way to get out of 'swap hell' was reboot, the system became so unresponsive. really easy to happen with a memleak, or during compilation or a runaway script etc..

windows on the other hand, only used up the first 50 mb of the 512mb (nlite-trimmed) and never had this problem. ive never achieved the year-long uptimes of XP with linux, except for servers i never touched and just ran a firewall or something.. always some weird freeze where you can ping the machine but not ssh in, happens every so often, that or the the swap hell described above..

2c