[linux-audio-user] Re: snd-mpu401 will not load in 2.6.12

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Thu Aug 18 03:30:53 EDT 2005

David Baron wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 August 2005 19:04, linux-audio-user-request at music.columbia.edu
> wrote:
> > > This is done on startup. Get device not found or busy.
> >
> > What parameters are set in /etc/modprobe.conf for this module?  Is
> > ACPI enabled, or are you using "pnp=0"?
>
> index=2 irq=-1 port=0x300
>
> I tried putting in pnp=0. No change. I believe that an "apm" is working rather
> than the full "acpi" on my MB.

You should always use "pnp=0" because that parameter is present when
the generic PnP code is enabled in the kernel.

If you have an older ALSA version, this parameter might be named
acpipnp instead of pnp; see the output of "modinfo snd-mpu401".

There is no reason why the driver should refuse to load because it
doesn't actually check for the presence of the hardware.  This seems
to be a bug in Demudi/Debian similar to the snd-virmidi bug.

Regards,
Clemens