[linux-audio-user] Specifying the license when posting music?

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Thu Aug 18 13:30:45 EDT 2005

On Thursday 18 August 2005 16:15, Brad Fuller wrote:
> >Until we make a decision not to accept non-CC submissions to the list you
> >should assume that a piece is copyright the author and all rights reserved
> >unless explicitly licensed otherwise.
> >

> I would change to: "... unless explicitly licensed and stated otherwise."
>
> This is fair, unambiguous and similar in concept to the US copyright -
> you write a tune, you automatically own the copyright, you're not
> required to file for ownership. I think it should always be the case.
>
> (i guess we could also talk about the mechanical and publishing rights
> as well. But, it seems that it would follow the same policy.)

Agreed.

I don't actually think it's necessary to make policy on this issue, just
encourage people to state the licensing position clearly and continue to
encourage the use of free licensing. Making things mandatory can be
counter-productive in the pursuit of freedom.
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim