[linux-audio-user] CD-Text confusion

Reuben Martin reuben.m at gmail.com
Fri Aug 19 14:24:48 EDT 2005

On 8/19/05, Mike Jewell <mj405 at oneupaudio.com> wrote:

> I've been trying to understand how to get my burned audio CDs to have
> the "Artist", "Album" and "Song" titles show up in my CD Player.  If I
> put a commercial CD in my drive it does, indeed, show the artist name,
> album title and track names in "CD Player".

Have you checked though how this information is obtained?  Your player
may be checking the CD agains a CDDB data base in order to obtain that
info. (Very few commercial CDs actually include CD-Text)

> Does my burner not support this?  It is an inexpensive burner but the
> specs on ASUS's site say it supports the following "Disk Formats":
> CD-DA, CD-ROM, CD-ROM/XA, Photo CD, Mixed Mode CD-ROM, CD-I, CD-Extra,
> CD-Text, Video CD, DVCD, Bootable CD

Just because it supports reading CD-Text, doesn't mean it supports
writing CD-Text (although it very well may).  Also, you will generally
have better success writing CDs like this in RAW mode, if your burner
supports it.

If you must buy a different CD burner in order to get the features you
want, I would recommend Plextor.