[linux-audio-user] Specifying the license when posting music?

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Fri Aug 19 14:50:01 EDT 2005

tim hall wrote:
> On Friday 19 August 2005 18:36, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
>
>>what question? i don't understand what you mean by "free jingle" ... i'm
>>pretty sure it would be against a non-commercial CC license for a song
>>to be used in advertising. in any case, i can't really envision a piece
>>of advertising or product endorsement that wouldn't be considered
>>commercial. Free/open advertising?! That's like a contradiction of terms!
>

> Sorry, a non-commercial license is by definition non-free. If a piece of music
> is licensed using one of the _free_ licenses it can be used for advertising.
> There is nothing you can do to prevent that. I'd love to hear that I'm wrong,
> but I doubt it.

i don't think you're wrong, but that's where the Creative Commons comes
in - it's not "free" like the GPL is free, but it's about as close as a
license for artistic works can get (and you can allow commercial uses if
you like, thereby making it truly "free").

i'm in no way advocating that people license their music under the GPL !!!

shayne