[linux-audio-user] [ANN] Mondrian Project

Peter Brinkmann brinkman at math.TU-Berlin.DE
Fri Aug 19 17:44:30 EDT 2005

Dave,
> [...] I've been
> wondering why there hasn't been more work in this area, text seems the
> perfect tool for macro based pattern building for melodies and such like.
I agree completely. Entering a score is essentially a matter of symbol
manipulation, and I feel that text editors are usually the right tool
for this sort of job.

> The way I do it (see
> http://www.pawfal.org/index.php?page=LsystemComposition and
> http://www.pawfal.org/patterncascade/ for some recordings) is to have
> single character for musical instructions ('o' for a note, '.' for a rest,
> '+' pitch up, '-' pitch down, '/' and '\' for panning etc) and I use
> iterative search/replace with tokens to represent different melody
> fragments (using an l system rule based approach).
I can't believe I missed this --- I actually visited your website before
I started on Mondrian because I remembered your performance at LAC2005,
but I only saw your sound generators in Lisp at the time. It sure looks
like we've been thinking along the same lines, albeit with a different
focus.

> Oh yeah, and I've just released an online version of the genetic selection
> interface part too:
> http://www.pawfal.org/Software/livenoisetools/noisepatternlet/
Ah, hours of fun!
    Peter