[linux-audio-user] Specifying the license when posting music?

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Fri Aug 19 19:13:59 EDT 2005

On Friday 19 August 2005 23:20, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
> out of
> interest, does posting a link with explicit permission to download (ie
> copy) a song, give up any copyrights *in that instance* ? because you
> are, in effect, lifting some of those implied copyright restrictions
> (otherwise it would be against the law to make a copy of it, wouldn't it?).

I honestly don't think that is the case. Explicit permission to copy the song
doesn't in and of itself give away 'copyright' - it only means that people
downloading the piece are not breaking the law as they have been given
specific permission to do that by the author. AFAIU the author does not lose
copyright until it is signed away under a formal agreement. 'copyright' is
the right right to control who can copy the piece as opposed to the right to
make copies as such. Just don't sign anything in a hurry at the airport!
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim