[linux-audio-user] Frustrated bigtime

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Aug 21 03:20:37 EDT 2005

On Sunday 21 August 2005 06:56, ix at replic.net wrote:
> have you tried vanilla 2.6.13-whatever. 2.6.12 was horrible for me, but it
> seems .13 has the ingo patches (sans hard-realtime) rolled in, as well as
> new timing resolution stuff (1000hz), and whatever it is amongst those,
> made everything finally work as it should (and much lower latencies than
> windows ever had)

Thanks for the tip-off. I have weighed the 2.6.12-multimedia-whatever packages
from DeMuDi in the balance and found them wanting - Still they don't come up
to the performance of the 2.4.27-multimedia kernel. (I'm talking about the
pre-packaged kernels from A/DeMuDi here). I am very much encouraged by this
report and I think it's well past time I delved into compiling my own kernel.

It's a bit of a testament to Free Ekanayaka's skills as Distro maintainer that
I haven't bothered so far, but as he's taking a well deserved holiday right
now, that gives me the impetus to give it a go. So, you're saying this
version doesn't need patching? Seems like a good place to start then.

Any warnings, pointers, suggested methods welcomed at this point, but I dare
say most of the information I need is out there already.
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim