[linux-audio-user] Re: Frustrated bigtime

Noah Roberts roberts.noah at gmail.com
Sun Aug 21 14:51:49 EDT 2005

On 8/20/05, Erik de Castro Lopo <erikd-lad at mega-nerd.com> wrote:
> Atte André Jensen wrote:
>
> > Noah Roberts wrote:
> >
> > > Using an external hard drive seems to help some.
> >
> > Did you look at hdparm, esp for the internal drive?
>
> More specifically, make sure you are using a driver specific to
> your machines PCI/disk controller (if one is available) rather
> than the generic one.

I was using the generic one, but would that affect the USB2 drive?
How does a standard IDE drive in one of those USB2 enclosures compare
in throughput to an internal mini-ide at 5200rpm?

I'm also using ext3.  My previous desktop used reiserfs.  Things I
read on the internet say that ext3 should be performing better but
maybe I should have chosen a different fs?