[linux-audio-user] snd-mpu401 will not load in 2.6.12

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Sun Aug 21 16:14:14 EDT 2005

On Sunday 21 August 2005 18:02, Lee Revell wrote:
> I don't know why people are complaining about 2.6.12, works fine for me.
> Unless they are having problems with USB audio, but this isn't a
> regression, AFAICT it never worked very well.

I'm starting to complain about it because I'm running a relatively low spec P3
+ 310MB RAM on a crap soundcard, which used to work perfectly on the
2.4.27-multimedia kernel. I can only assume that the 2.6 kernel uses
significantly more resources. I also remember that the 2.4 kernel wasn't
really any good for audio until .18 and I know it's not something that is
prioritised in kernel development. So I'm not entirely surprised. Still it's
good enough to motivate me to learn how to compile my own. We're also
starting to see P4s on the recycling horizon, so I may be able to upgrade the
hardware soon. :)
--
cheers,

tim hall