[linux-audio-user] linux audio wiki

David Collins david at hl.afraid.org
Mon Aug 22 16:49:54 EDT 2005

I don't know if there's even any point in saying that I don't want to step on people's toes in this message, as it's probably inevitable. But anyway ....

I actually have strong reservations about putting 'linux' in the domain name. This isn't because I want to remove any possible obstacles to the information being embraced by users of non-free/proprietary operating systems (..I don't have a well-defined opinion on that matter - although the term 'linux' might deter users of other 'free' systems, such as freebsd ); it's because I have reservations about referring to GNU/Linux (..as well as a considerable amount of other free software) as 'linux' in the first place. I don't think it's appropriate. Linux is just the kernel let's not forget!

A lot of you are probably familiar with the debate already, and possibly roll your eyeballs and utter offensive terms whenever you witness it raised, but in case you aren't - you can read Stallman's introduction to the debate:  http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html . Some people might think he's just being daft, but I disagree. If we desire to emphasize the 'freedom' associated with what we are doing, I don't think 'linux' is the most appropriate term.

--

Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> audioliberty.org

These sound good to me, or (if the word 'software' poses problems for some people) maybe something like:

> freeaudiotools.org

Just a suggestion (..it seems to be available as well)

Emanuel Rumpf wrote:
> So, however we finally call it, here it is, the wiki:
> http://lauwiki.branwelt.de:8048/

Just had a quick glance, but it looks nice.

--
http://hl.afraid.org/~david/