[linux-audio-user] Re: Frustrated bigtime

Noah Roberts roberts.noah at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 20:25:15 EDT 2005

On 8/22/05, tim hall <tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk> wrote:
> More unsubstantiated comment, for which I apologise:
>
> On Monday 22 August 2005 06:54, Lee Revell wrote:
> > Try the latest RT preempt patch that works with 2.6.12. Or, why not
> > just use a prepackaged RT patched kernel like the Demudi one?
>
> I would guess that Noah has already tried it. There is enough traffic on the
> AGNULA-users list to suggest that none of the prepackaged DeMuDi 2.6 RT
> kernels are actually stable, they seem to work perfectly on some hardware and
> not on others (partic. low-spec and 64bit machines).

The 2.6.13 idea was probably the most helpful.  Applying the rt patch
was an idea given by Revel, though not for .13...but thanks for
yelling at me about it anyway.  .13 comes with the RT patch applied
already so it isn't necissary to apply any patch to this kernel....not
that I don't know how.

No, I don't usually mess with kernels built for distributions I don't
use so no, I never tried the DeMuDi kernel and I wouldn't trust it as
it is built for a distribution that afaik doesn't run on my
architecture (not in native mode anyway).  I tend to shy away from
pre-packaged kernels at any rate though I have been using the gentoo
patches because they are specific to my architecture.  Right now
though I have a vanilla kernel installed and it isn't being a problem
so far even if Gentoo says they won't support anything but their
kernel on the 64...but I don't generally need support most of the
time.  I think we are quickly reaching a point when patching the
kernel specifically for audio is unnecissary.

And I may as well test .13 since I can.  I'm not exactly in production
mode here...