[linux-audio-user] linux audio wiki

tim hall tech at glastonburymusic.org.uk
Tue Aug 23 07:44:13 EDT 2005

On Monday 22 August 2005 21:49, David Collins wrote:
> I actually have strong reservations about putting 'linux' in the domain
> name. This isn't because I want to remove any possible obstacles to the
> information being embraced by users of non-free/proprietary operating
> systems (..I don't have a well-defined opinion on that matter - although
> the term 'linux' might deter users of other 'free' systems, such as freebsd
> ); it's because I have reservations about referring to GNU/Linux (..as well
> as a considerable amount of other free software) as 'linux' in the first
> place. I don't think it's appropriate. Linux is just the kernel let's not
> forget!

I agree with your points mostly. The one thing that does justify the use of
the word 'Linux' is that without a Realtime capable kernel we'd be stuffed.
I'm arguing against myself now, in the interests of balance. I prefer
freeaudiosoftware for reasons already given.
--
cheers,

tim hall
http://glastonburymusic.org.uk/tim