[linux-audio-user] Advice needed: portable audio recorder?

October extremecs at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 24 16:54:08 EDT 2005

Hey all,

I need some advice...  I want to buy a device for
making high quality recordings "in the field" via a
MIC of enviromental sounds and also small jam sessions
in enclosed spaces and the like.  It would also be
nice (but not required) to have the capability to just
plug a guitar or keyboard into it and record as well.
Being linux friendly, preferably via a USB cable (both
read and write) is highly desired!

I am, however, on a limited budget! So basically I
need the most bang for the buck ;)

Top end of my budget might include the Edirol R-1, at
around $400USD.  This device uses compact flash cards
for storage but I'm worried about propietary (windoze)
software being required for file transfer.
http://www.edirol.com/products/info/r1.html

I've also been reading up on something called the Zoom
PS04 which is aparantly a fairly popular digital
4-track recorder.  Seems to have lots of bells and
whistles, is half the price of the Edirol, but has no
USB.  This means buying a smartmedia card reader and
hoping I find a way to convert the proprietary ".aud"
files to waves or something with linux.
http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/models/ps04/pdmodel.html

Then there is MiniDisc and even some harddrive based
music players with record features.  Too many to even
sort through!

Is anyone using anything like this with linux that can
help me out with a recommendation or two?

Thanks in advance!

Jon Hoskins

In a world without walls who needs gates or windows?

                               --unknown