[linux-audio-user] mono synth, note allocation scheme

Sean Bolton musound at jps.net
Thu Aug 25 12:32:07 EDT 2005

On Aug 24, 2005, at 1:41 AM, Frank Barknecht wrote:
> Atte André Jensen hat gesagt: // Atte André Jensen wrote:
>> The problem is in monomode. If one note is held and another played,
>> released, played, releaset, etc. there should always be sound as long
>> as
>> at least one note is depressed.
>
> It may be desirable in some cases, but why should it always be this
> way? What kind of priority is right: low note priority, low note
> priority with re-triggered envelopes, high note priority, high note
> priority with re-triggered envelopes, last note priority, last note
> with envelopes....

Thanks, André, for bringing this up -- Xsynth-DSSI and hexter maintain
a stack of playing notes, with last note priority, so they behave the
way
you are describing as desired.  They also offer several envelope
retriggering options (no retrigger, retrigger any time the active note
changes, retrigger only upon a new note-on).

Thanks also to Frank, for pointing out some of the other possibilities
-- I'll
add the high-note and low-note priorities to my synth's to-do lists.

(Can't miss an opportunity to plug my work, what? ;-)

-Sean