[linux-audio-user] linux audio wiki

Shayne O'Connor forums at machinehasnoagenda.com
Thu Aug 25 22:25:25 EDT 2005

Pete Bessman wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 10:12 +1000, Shayne O'Connor wrote:
>
>>by all means, do what you want - but you can have yr fruitcake and eat
>>it, too.
>

> If you don't think "GNU" and "Free Software" are stumbling blocks to
> mainstream adoption of the fruit of our community's labor, then I must
> conclude, to borrow a concept from Samizdata, that you and I exist in
> alternate realities.  I have been a non-stop evangelist for our platform
> in Real Life (TM), in many bands and with many musicians (and the
> occasional fan).  And based on my Real Life (TM) experience with these
> groups, I find the results of "GNU/Linux," "Free Software," et al, to be
> exceedingly suboptimal.
>
> Here's my recollection of how an exemplary conversation went down with a
> bassist I once worked with:
>
> "Hey man, that beat is pretty slick, whadja use to roll it?"
>
> 'A free software sampler I wrote for GNU/Linux.'
<snip>

sorry to snip so much, but as i said ... who wants/needs to use
GNU/Linux in everyday conversation and in general discussion. i only
suggest that if you're getting some sort of wiki or web page that is
going to be a primer in all things   related to linux software, then gee
- it's pretty damned easy just to write GNU/Linux. seriously, if the
concept of Free software is that hard to grasp, then i doubt anyone's
going to have any luck with the stuff that *actually is confusing* -
like getting a piece of software installed.

it's got nothing to do with ideology, and everything to do with reality.
GNU/Linux. Three letters and a backslash. The FSF is so much more than
just a pain in the arse - as its name implies, it is a foundation on
which *lots* of stuff has been built.

when yr mate asks how you roll beats in future, shouldn't you just say
"with a program called Specimen"?

shayne