[linux-audio-user] Re: Frustrated bigtime

Noah Roberts roberts.noah at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 13:45:48 EDT 2005

On 8/26/05, Florian Schmidt <mista.tapas at gmx.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 09:33:32 -0700
> Noah Roberts <roberts.noah at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Yes, thank you for confirming what I said.  There is no
> > realtime-preempt patch for the current stable kernel.  You either
> > downgrade or upgrade to 2.6.13 which also can't be patched for amd64.
>
> To avoid misunderstanding: Lee said you applied the RP patches to the
> wrong trees. To apply i.e. patch-2.6.13-rc7-rt3  you first patch up
> 2.6.12 to 2.6.13-rc7 and _then_ apply the RP patch. This patch does
> apply cleanly (whether it builds or is functional for amd64 is a
> different issue).

Why not just download the 2.6.13 tree and use it?  Such is what I did.
 Apparently many people here like to respond to messages/threads
without reading them.

Whether it builds or is functional on AMD64 is THE issue.  It isn't a
different issue...it is THE issue for this thread.  It is also the
very issue of the post you are responding to.

> You are of course right, that there's no RP patch that applies against
> 2.6.12.5 or whatever current stable is. OTOH i have great results since
> months with RP patches based on rc candidates. Tough luck for people
> unwilling to experiment a bit ;)

This is just getting stupid.  I'm done.  I never said anything about
2.6.13-rc7.  I did state that 2.6.13-rc6 will _not_ compile on amd64
if you attempt to add the RP patch.  I also stated that to get RP you
have to go with the "unstable" kernel and live with the "almost" RP
that you get without the patch, or downgrade from the current stable
kernel and apply a patch that works.  The only one I had success with
is 2.6.11.12.

I get lambasted for trying to patch 2.6.13 and now I get lambasted for
saying you have to use a pre-current kernel if you want the RP with
amd64.  I can't win with you people.  I am not playing anymore.  You
all need something better to do with your lives.