[linux-audio-user] Re: RE: I just want to EQ the quiet parts

philicorda philicorda at ntlworld.com
Sat Aug 27 12:13:29 EDT 2005

> Message: 5
> Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 15:25:20 -0700
> From: Mike Jewell <mj405 at oneupaudio.com>
> Subject: Re: [linux-audio-user] RE: I just want to EQ the quiet parts
> On Fri, 2005-08-26 at 23:51 +0100, philicorda wrote:
<snip>
> > If Jamin had inverse ratios for the compressor sections then you could
> > do some expansion. Perhaps if you ask the authors they will look into
> > it?
> >

> Now, that sounds very interesting.  Are there any expander plugins?  If
> one existed with the right thresholds, etc, I can imagine it could work
> like a proportional noise gate where it just starts attenuating
> gradually below a certain dB level.  Could be a handy tool.

The TAP dynamics plugin has an expander setting. There is also the SWH
SE4.
Expanders are not quite the same as gates, as they boost signals above
the threshold by the ratio, rather than attenuating signals below it.
They tend to be a little finicky for full noise reduction on mixes in my
experience, as it's quite hard to get the settings bang on so the pumpy
artifacts of the expansion are less annoying than the noise. Then you
want to compress the result to get rid of the pumping and you are back
where you started. :) Can work great on single instruments though, or as
an effect to give things a little more punch.

It's all curves anyway. You can make your own ones with the TAP dynamics
somehow to get odd combinations like expander/compressor/gate.

I've never actually tried doing multiband expansion for noise reduction
on a mix to be honest, but if the noise is pretty steady, and limited to
a certain range of frequencies then it should work.