[linux-audio-user] networking jack

torbenh at gmx.de torbenh at gmx.de
Thu Dec 1 16:14:33 EST 2005

On Thu, Dec 01, 2005 at 12:38:15AM +0100, conrad berh?rster wrote:
> Hallo Torben,
>
> nice to hear/ read from you. (Ist das Haus winterfest oder frierst du B))

wir haben ja den ofen. und das bad und die kueche unten ist auch fertig.

> Can you explain more detailed the status of the project. Is it working or not.
> Am i right , that the main idea is the tranfer audio data over the net.
> transparent for the soundcard - all sound are played an the computer in the
> network? that means, that i must decide, which soundcard i want to use in the
> session.

for sound it works very well. i am still working on transmitting the
jack_transport information in a sample accurate manner.

you have jack_ports which are connected to other ports on the other side
of the networkcable.

until the transport stuff is done you will have to use alsa midi over
network to trigger the other computers.

or if you have time you can wait for jack_midi and support in netjack.

> i think, for the application i wish to use, i need a server and a client side,
> were the server just syncs a time code and send it to the clients.
> If  I remember well, there was once a jack client with udp and/or osc (open
> sound control)  heard of that.

this project is the evolution of jack.udp which did not handle the clock
drift between the two machines.
with netjack there is no clock drift.

the current cvs has transport sync code which works ok for non-slowsync
clients. (ie syncing 2 ardours gives a little delay between the 2)

--
torben Hohn
http://galan.sourceforge.net -- The graphical Audio language