[linux-audio-user] Problems with Roland PC-300

Chris Norris chris at dukla.plus.com
Sat Dec 3 19:22:46 EST 2005

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Dec 2005 18:58, Chris Norris wrote:
>
>> Hi all - I would appreciate if someone is able to help get my Roland
>> PC-300 midi keyboard controller to work.
>>
>> The short problem seems to me that although the keyboard is being
>> recognised via USB OK, it is not being correctly/completely identified
>> by ALSA.
>>
>> When I plug it in I get in my system log:
>> Nov 28 17:17:57 dukla kernel: usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using
>> uhci_hcd and address 3
>> Nov 28 17:17:58 dukla kernel: midi: probe of 3-2:1.0 failed with error -5
>> Nov 28 17:17:58 dukla kernel: midi: probe of 3-2:1.1 failed with error -5
>> Nov 28 17:17:58 dukla kernel: usbmidi: found [ Roland PC-300 ]
>> (0x0582:0x0008), attached:
>> Nov 28 17:17:58 dukla kernel: usbmidi: /dev/midi00: in (ep:81 cid: 0
>> bufsiz:64) out (ep:01 cid: 0 bufsiz:64)
>>

> These messages mean that the old OSS-like "usb-midi" driver has been loaded,
> taking over the device, which is recognized and probably working with this
> driver.
>

>> Nov 28 17:17:58 dukla kernel: usbcore: registered new driver midi
>> Nov 28 17:17:58 dukla kernel: usbcore: registered new driver snd-usb-audio
>>

> The alsa driver has been loaded too, but it doesn't find a free interface in
> the PC-300 to attach.
>

>> Even better, it shows up as a device:
>> me at dukla:~> cat /proc/asound/cards
>> 0 [V8237          ]: VIA8237 - VIA 8237
>>                      VIA 8237 with ALC658D at 0xe000, irq 177
>> 1 [PC300          ]: USB-Audio - PC-300
>>                      Roland PC-300 at usb-0000:00:10.2-2, full speed
>>
>> And yet I cannot see it as an input ALSA device:
>> me at dukla:~> aconnect -i -o
>> client 0: 'System' [type=kernel]
>> 0 'Timer '
>> 1 'Announce '
>> client 62: 'Midi Through' [type=kernel]
>> 0 'Midi Through Port-0'
>> client 128: 'FLUID Synth (10018)' [type=user]
>> 0 'Synth input port (10018:0)'
>>
>> I am running SuSE 10.0 x86_64 (kernel 2.6.13-15) which has ALSA
>> 1.0.9-23. My skills do not run to kernel compiles: the keyboard does
>> work fine under Windows and even
>> cat /dev/midi
>> shows some garbage at each key press.
>>
>> Any/all help or suggestions would be very welcome!
>> Thanks
>>

> You can either:
> * Remove the module usb-midi, if you don't need it anymore.
> Or
> * Add one line at end of your file "/etc/hotplug/blacklist".
> To do it, open a terminal window, login as root and enter:
> # echo "usb-midi" >> /etc/hotplug/blacklist
>
> Next time you boot the computer, the module "usb-midi" won't be loaded and
> your keyboard controller will be driven by ALSA.
>
> There is a diagnostic script to debug ALSA problems here:
> http://alsa.opensrc.org/aadebug
> Perhaps you would like to run it, before and after, and tell us it this helps.
>
> Regards,
> Pedro

Many thanks - I am up and running now. (Well struggling with all the
jack & Rosegarden settings & options!) I couldn't find a way to prevent
usb-midi loading with the kernel and can't think of any reason I need it
(I am a midi novice and content to stick to ALSA) but the blacklist
option does the trick.

I ran the debug script you linked to: I am not sure if this list allows
attachments but for a start will try do both a before & after as
attachments. I think they are for interest only until I run into the
next problem. (If the attachments get stripped & anyone is interested,
yell & I will post in the body of a mail.)

Thanks so much for your help again
Chris