[linux-audio-user] The best distro for music creation

Dave Phillips dlphillips at woh.rr.com
Sun Dec 4 15:49:12 EST 2005

Sean Edwards wrote:

>Have you tried ecasound?  I guarantee your machine is
>powerful enough to use ecasound for audio work
>
>--- Dave Phillips <dlphillips at woh.rr.com> wrote:
>

>>  I have two machines I use for music (and
>>everything else too). My
>>laptop is a PII 366 HP Omnibook 4150, not a very
>>powerful machine at
>>all. It isn't suitable for serious audio work,

Hi Sean:

  Yes, I've used ecasound on this machine. The problem isn't really the
software. The audio chipset is a consumer-grade CS4232 that really isn't
up to the task. I also have PDAudioCF card that works great, but it's
digital-in only.

  Btw, the CS4232 works fine with JACK in simplex mode, but I get xruns
aplenty when the device is in full duplex mode. Not so usable for
multitracking.

  Really, it's underpowered hardware if I want to do what I mean by
serious audio work. It's okay with non-realtime stuff though.

  I agree that ecasound is excellent Linux audio software.

Best,

dp