[linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Tue Dec 6 08:46:00 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-12-06 at 06:05 -0500, Bill Allen wrote:
> I've been struggling with a technique problem. How do you get your
> vocals to sound good? I know that you can't make a silk purse from a
> sow's ear, but you can make the best of what you've got. What
> combination of plugins and settings do you use to get the best sound
> from vocals particularly in Ardour? I know that this is one of those
> subjective questions for which the best answer is try it out yourself
> and find what sounds best, but there are so many plugins (an
> embarassment of riches), each of which has many settings, that a brute
> force search of all the combinations would take forever - not to mention
> that after a while, my poor ears become exhausted with the effort and
> refuse to hear differences anymore. So what I'm really looking for is
> good starting points to work from.
>
> One combination that I like is GVerb to get depth and L/C/R Delay to get
> width. Even with those two getting the settings right takes time. For
> comunication, I've included a jack rack with some settings I've found
> that work OK. I would love your critiques and suggestions for other setups.

    I usually use SC4 compression, GVerb, and Tape Delay Simulation.
I've also used Versatile Plate Reverb (a tip of the cap to Dave Phillips
for pointing that one out to me) instead of GVerb.  Tom's TAP Stereo
Echo set for Haas effect (see his web pages for documentation) can also
be interesting but it can wash out the vocal.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744