[linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound

Bill Allen bwanab+lau at juraview.com
Wed Dec 7 05:54:00 EST 2005

Bill Allen wrote:

> I've been struggling with a technique problem. How do you get your
> vocals to sound good?

To all who replied, thank you very much. You've all given me a ton of
good ideas. A couple of comments:

One of the common themes was microphone selection. Whenever you've got
that much consensus on an issue, you've probably got a keeper. I've been
using an old Shure SM-58, which is a great live mic, but I suspect I
could get better results with a better mic even in my
bedroom^h^h^h^h^h^hstudio.

I'm not as concerned about the quality of my voice as much as how to get
the best out of it that I can and more specifically to get the effect
that I'm trying to achieve in a specific song. On the specific song in
question that I'm working on right now (which I'd mentioned in a
lead to this song in bands in the past even though in every case, the
band I was in had much better singers. It's the backup voices where I
wish I had the good singers. They are what made the live performances
work. Alas, I'll have the Ardour project on hand and when a good singer
crosses my hearth, I'll hijack him or her to the studio and get a track
out so quickly they won't have time to ask for a shot of Jack Daniel's.

Paul - your wife has a lovely voice - detected a hint of Sandy Denny
influence there.

Best regards and thanks again for all the responses,

Bill