[linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound

Ross Vandegrift ross at jose.lug.udel.edu
Wed Dec 7 16:42:13 EST 2005

On Tue, Dec 06, 2005 at 12:48:28PM -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> +1000.  The best investment is a good mic.
> It doesn't have to be all that expensive if you do your research.
> I bought an MXL V67G on ebay for under $100 with shock mount
> and I've been pretty happy with the results.

I disagree - especially for vocals.  If you're close-micing
instruments, then the mic is the most important poart.  Otherwise?

Your room.

Most people starting out with amatuer recording buy their first
condensor mic and are disappointed at how poor the recording sounds.
Usually, this is because you're not used to the mic picking up things
like a computer fan running, people walking upstairs, etc.  Sometimes
it's because the room you are using is just not acoustically pleasing.
You're not going to notice that so much with a dynamic mic.

Unless you're a drummer, you'll have to keep at the condensors for a
bit while you learn to love them.

If you're a drummer (like me), slap em up as your overheads, you'll
have no problem covering up any noise!  And you'll definitely dig the
new sizzle ::-)

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at lug.udel.edu