vocal effect (was Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound)

Ross Vandegrift ross at jose.lug.udel.edu
Wed Dec 7 16:48:39 EST 2005

On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 03:39:49PM -0500, Brett McCoy wrote:
> I found a video of "I'm Sprung" via Google... that is an awful sound. Do
> people actually like that? It seems very gratuitous, like the overly
> obvious CG effects used in movies...

Well, it depends.  I think AutoTune sounds kind of obnoxious when used
as anything more than a touch-up.  I respect the idea of abusing it
for a new effect.  Somehow, it doesn't come out pleasing though...
::-).

It's probably just that the music I associate it with isn't the best.
I suspect it'd be a great effect paired with some things that I like -
think electronica/industrial hard rock mixes.  I wouldn't be too
surprised to learn that some of the effects The Faint come up with cam
from AT.

Anyhow, just playing it straight - don't hate the effect, hate the bad
choice of the sound dude.

--
Ross Vandegrift
ross at lug.udel.edu