vocal effect (was Re: [linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound)

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Wed Dec 7 21:40:34 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 23:02 +0100, Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> Basically the 'cher' effect we're talking about is the result of setting
> the response speed of the pitch correction to a very small amount. Even
> the best singer reaches the correct pitch by listening to himself, it's
> a continuous feedback. When using such an effect the voice goes from a
> pitch to another so fast it sounds fake.

    So that's how they did that.  I had always wondered why it sounded
so synthesized.  That makes sense.  I'll have to listen more closely the
next time I'm subjected to that Cher thing or Kid Rock's travesty of
music (the name of which mercifully escapes me at the moment).

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744