[linux-audio-user] Linux Sampler

Peder Hedlund peder at musikhuset.org
Thu Dec 8 02:45:49 EST 2005

On Thu, 8 Dec 2005, Lars Luthman wrote:

> Their CVS server isn't responding, so I can't see the whole License
> Agreement. But I see this on the web page:
>
>   LinuxSampler is licensed under the GNU GPL license with the exception
>   that COMMERCIAL USE of the souce code, libraries and applications is
>   NOT ALLOWED without prior written permission by the LinuxSampler
>   authors. If you have questions on the subject please contact us.

 Hmm....
 From what I understand of GPL you can't put additional restrictions
 to it. It's either GPL ot not.

 The only thing you can do as a copyright holder is to dual-licence it,
 like MySQL for instance, where you have one free GPL version with its
 licensing rules or the same code bought as a commercial license
 that you can use free of GPL restrictions.

 AFAIKT from what Lars reports, LinuxSampler is violating GPL.

 Regards,

   Peder