[linux-audio-user] Linux Sampler

Lars Luthman larsl at users.sourceforge.net
Thu Dec 8 07:35:08 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 07:28 -0500, Dave Phillips wrote:
> Florian Schmidt wrote:
> >On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 20:34:43 -0500
> >Paul Davis <paul at linuxaudiosystems.com> wrote:
> >>there is more going on there than almost nobody on this list except for
> >>the LS authors and myself is aware of. it would be wise for everyone to
> >>not judge this admittedly very unpleasant change in the license without
> >>being aware of the reasons why it occured. unfortunately, it is not
> >>possible to explain any more.
> >
> >[snip]
> >This "Ah it's all ok, but we can't tell you why" doesn't sound
> >convincing at all. Sorry.
> >
> IANAL but I'll take a guess that there's a patent encumbrance issue. If
> I recall correctly the Giga folks own a patent on streaming audio to a
> sampler, and if the wording on that patent is sufficiently broad then
> there may indeed be a legal issue with LS's technology, regardless
> whether they actually broach the Giga patent. I welcome correction on
> the patent surmise, if I'm wrong about it.

A software patent? Then maybe EU citizens could be exempted from the
non-commercial restriction (at least until Virgin and friends have
bought enough MEPs). Not that it would make any practical difference to
me, I'm not going to write any music that anyone would want to buy any
time soon.

--
Lars Luthman
PGP key:     http://www.d.kth.se/~d00-llu/pgp_key.php