[linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound

Nigel Henry cave.dnb at tiscali.fr
Thu Dec 8 12:41:20 EST 2005

On Thursday 08 December 2005 16:37, studio-64 wrote:
> Burkhard Woelfel wrote:

> >>Hi Bill:
> >>
> >>You also have to remember that you don't hear yourself the way others
> >>hear you. I'm not especially fond of my voice, but I know how to hit the
> >>right notes and other people seem to like it.
> >>
> >>The *sound* of a voice can be effective enough as a carrier of
> >>personality. Bob Dylan is often used as an example of a not-so-beautiful
> >>voice that's perfectly suited to his material. And it's worth mentioning
> >>that Dylan does know how to sing (check out Girl From The North Country).
> >
> > I'd let somebody else sing first, experiment and learn with his or her
> > voice. After a bit of training the feeling of embarrassment wrt my own
> > voice wouldn't be so much of a distraction.
> >
> > BTW, a few weeks ago a friend of mine told me that he really liked a
> > particular song of mine. The voice, he told me, didn't sound like mine at
> > all. Isn't that strange, I was really happy about that.
> >
> > Oh, the miracles of human perception.
>
> Strange, this is exactly what happened to me
> when I sang on my two tracks, thing is, it doesnt sound like me to me!!
>
> Bob

This is an interesting comment. I find the same when I record speech onto, for
instance a cassette recorder. I have an accent coming from the Channel
Islands, but don't notice it when I speak. But playing back my recorded voice
is very evident. It may have something to do with the very positive feedback
you get to the brain when you speak or sing, whether your monitoring your
singing/speech with or without headphones. Whereas, when you listen to
yourself after making a recording, your brain is not receiving positive
feedback from your voice. Your brain through your ears is sort of hearing
these sounds for the first time, from another location, and also some delay
involved between the recording and the playback. Of course the other quite
strange behaviour is, when you are listening to music through the headphones
and speak to someone at the same time, you actually speak louder without
realising it, indicating again that the brain, by virtue of positive feedback
from your voice is controlling the level of your voice. A problem noticeable
with folks who have become hearing impaired, or totally deaf. There's
obviously a lot of stuff going on that you don't know about when you sing.
It's only when you listen to the recording that you become aware of it.

Think Karaoke, and you've had a few too many. What would that sound like the
next day. (That was just for fun).  It's been great reading this thread.
Nigel.