[linux-audio-user] Re: Music CD Data Base

Paul set at pobox.com
Thu Dec 8 17:22:41 EST 2005

Lee Revell <rlrevell at joe-job.com>, on Wed Dec 07, 2005 [02:46:32 PM] said:
> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 13:18 -0600, Martin McCormick wrote:
> > 	How does one read the MCM number and any other non-audio data
> > from a music CD?  I want to build a MP3 server for our house and
> > definitely do not want to manually enter data from the art work in the
> > CD box.
> >
> > 	It is my understanding that one can retrieve the MCM catalog
> > number and match it against a data base to turn that in to an album
> > name and song titles.  Is this correct?
>
> Yes it's called CDDB and any decent music player should have built in
> support.
>
> XMMS does talk to the CDDB right?  If not we are a lot further behind
> than I thought...
>
> Lee

	Hi;

	Sure it does. The fancier ones of the breed will even download
cover art for you. (eg. Amarok) Last week, the LWN 'grumpy editor'
series was about music managers:

http://lwn.net/Articles/161233/
(scroll down quite a bit)

	The comments mentioned something that might be interesting
for mp3 serving:

http://www.musicpd.org/

	Its a networkable music playing daemon that has a dozen
or so client front ends, web, curses, command line, etc.

	I see that the OP was able to get some CDDB lookups, but
since Im here, Ill mention the util 'cd-discid', and 'cddb-tool'
which is part of the 'abcde' package, a command line tool for
ripping and encoding.

Paul
set at pobox.com