[linux-audio-user] How to get good vocal sound

Jan Depner eviltwin69 at cableone.net
Thu Dec 8 22:21:37 EST 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-08 at 20:57 -0500, Paul Winkler wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 03:23:03AM +0100, Esben Stien wrote:
> > Paul Winkler <pw_lists at slinkp.com> writes:
> >
> > > I am not familiar with the term "static mic".
> >
> > The static microphone uses a capacitive membrane; a condensor mic.
>
> Ah, thanks, maybe it's just not a common term in the US.
>
> > > Neither dynamic nor condensor (aka capacitor) mics are inherently
> > > fragile at high SPL.
> >
> > This is not the way I understand it.
>
> Well, there are plenty of condenser mics that can handle 140 dB SPL
> without harm or audible distortion. That's extremely loud.  Of course it
> depends on the mic in question, but even my cheap MXL condenser mics are
> rated at 130 dB at 0.5% THD, which is still much louder than a typical
> rock concert.
>
> Mechanical fragility if you drop it is another question entirely.
> I wouldn't want to drop one of these cheap MXL mics. Not that
> they're badly made, but they ARE cheap.

    OT - I recently purchased a Rode S1 condenser mic.  It's mostly for
stage use although it works great for instruments in the studio.  Rode
guarantees it for 5 years no matter what happens to it - you can beat it
to death with a hammer if you want.  Anyway, about the third gig I used
it some drunk staggered up to the stage during a break and knocked my
mic stand over.  The mic hit the floor from about 6 feet up directly on
the ball.  It sounded like someone fired a cannon.  Didn't do a single
bit of damage to the mic other than denting the screen just slightly.

--
Jan 'Evil Twin' Depner
The Fuzzy Dice

"As we enjoy great advantages from the invention of others, we should be
glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours, and
this we should do freely and generously."

Benjamin Franklin, on declining patents offered by the governor of
Pennsylvania for his "Pennsylvania Fireplace", c. 1744