[linux-audio-user] Connecting alsaplayer to jack

David L. Craig dlc at radix.net
Tue Dec 13 16:37:22 EST 2005

I've gotten jack to run via sudo on my Gentoo system but when
I attempt sudo alsaplayer -r -o jack I get:

Failed to load output plugin "jack". Trying defaults.

I'm guessing I'm missing an ebuild, but I think I have all the
right ones with "jack in the name, as emerge --search jack yields:

[ Results for search key : jack ]
[ Applications found : 12 ]

*  app-crypt/jacksum
      Latest version available: 1.6.0
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 401 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.jonelo.de/java/jacksum/
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-libs/bio2jack
      Latest version available: 0.4
      Latest version installed: 0.4
      Size of downloaded files: 466 kB
      Homepage:    http://bio2jack.sourceforge.net/
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-libs/libjackasyn
      Latest version available: 0.10
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 69 kB
      Homepage:    http://gige.xdv.org/soft/libjackasyn
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-plugins/alsa-jack
      Latest version available: 1.0.10_rc1
      Latest version installed: 1.0.10_rc1
      Size of downloaded files: 190 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.alsa-project.org/
      License:     GPL-2 LGPL-2.1

*  media-plugins/xmms-jack
      Latest version available: 0.10
      Latest version installed: 0.10
      Size of downloaded files: 569 kB
      Homepage:    http://xmms-jack.sourceforge.net/
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/jack
      Latest version available: 3.0.0
      Latest version installed: 3.0.0
      Size of downloaded files: 304 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.home.unix-ag.org/arne/jack/
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/jack-audio-connection-kit
      Latest version available: 0.99.0-r1
      Latest version installed: 0.99.0-r1
      Size of downloaded files: 705 kB
      Homepage:    http://jackit.sourceforge.net/
      License:     GPL-2 LGPL-2.1

*  media-sound/jack-rack
      Latest version available: 1.4.3
      Latest version installed: 1.4.3
      Size of downloaded files: 337 kB
      Homepage:    http://arb.bash.sh/~rah/software/jack-rack/
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/qjackconnect
      Latest version available: 0.0.3b-r1
      Latest version installed: 0.0.3b-r1
      Size of downloaded files: 11 kB
      Homepage:    http://www.suse.de/~mana/jack.html
      License:     GPL-2

*  media-sound/qjackctl
      Latest version available: 0.2.14
      Latest version installed: 0.2.14
      Size of downloaded files: 229 kB
      Homepage:    http://qjackctl.sf.net/
      License:     GPL-2

*  net-dns/dnshijacker
      Latest version available: 1.3-r1
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 23 kB
      Homepage:    http://pedram.redhive.com/projects.php
      License:     GPL-2

*  net-misc/klapjack [ Masked ]
      Latest version available: 0.4.2
      Latest version installed: [ Not Installed ]
      Size of downloaded files: 559 kB
      Homepage:    http://klapjack.sourceforge.net/
      License:     GPL-2

I'm running kernel 2.6.14-r4 if it matters.  Any thoughts on what
my problem might be?

--

May the LORD God bless you exceedingly abundantly!

Dave Craig

"'So the universe is not quite as you thought it was.
 You'd better rearrange your beliefs, then.
 Because you certainly can't rearrange the universe.'"

--from _Nightfall_  by Asimov/Silverberg