[linux-audio-user] Re: No sound from streaming audio + ALSA

Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao pmcaragao-ag at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 19:01:42 EST 2005

Paulo Marcel Coelho Aragao wrote on Dec, 12:
> I recently switched from OSS to ALSA and no sound comes from streaming
> audio.  CD playing with xmms or cdplay works correctly. Streaming audio with
> xmms or gxine produces no sound. I can see that the server was contacted and
> the player is reproducing the stream, but only a hissing sound comes from
> the loudspeakers. I ruled out mixer problems because CD playing produces
> sound.

[...]

I'm more puzzled now: I traced aplay, which produces sound, and gxine, which
doesn't produce sound. aplay plays a wav file, and gxine a rtsp:// stream. I
can see that both open /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p, and repeatedly ioctl the file
descriptor returned by open. I presume that these ioctl send the sound to the
ALSA driver, because I didn't see any write against the file descriptor. The
trace from both programs have a similar structure, but gxine produces no sound
and aplay does. As I mentioned before, all mixer controls, but Master, are set
at maximum value.

It must be something really obvious that I'm missing through sheer ignorance
of the whole process. Could anybody shed some light on this ?

Thanks for bearing with me
Paulo