OT: Accelerated 3D GFX cards with Free drivers (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: The best distro for music creation)

Rob Fell rob at curates-egg.org
Wed Dec 14 14:30:14 EST 2005

Lee Revell wrote:
> Intel and VIA have 3D chipsets with open drivers.  You're not going to
> get insanely high frame rates but that's the price of freedom ;-)

Don't these chipsets use 'host' memory rather than dedicated video
memory?  If so, I'm not sure I want all that bandwidth stolen from the
CPU :(

> There's also this project:
>
> http://www.opengraphics.org

I've read about this.  Interesting idea, but I still have doubts that
it'll produce ASIC/cards that will be affordable - though I'd love to be
proved wrong.

cheers
Rob