OT: Accelerated 3D GFX cards with Free drivers (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: The best distro for music creation)

Christian Ohm chr.ohm at gmx.net
Wed Dec 14 16:47:36 EST 2005

On Wednesday, 14 December 2005 at 18:54, Rob Fell wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
> >... It would be understandable if
> >there was no 3D hardware available with open drivers but that's not the
> >case.
>
> Given that I'm considering building a new machine, can you point to
> references please?  I wasn't aware any 3D GFX manufacturer had released
> any significant specs/code...

As far as I know the fastest 3D card with open drivers is the Radeon
8500/9100 (developed from specs ATI released at the time) - and I've
heard even those are noticeably faster with the closed source drivers.

--
If you want to get rich from writing, write the sort of thing that's
read by persons who move their lips when the're reading to themselves.