[linux-audio-user] Guitars

Bill Allen bwanab+lau at juraview.com
Thu Dec 15 06:21:32 EST 2005

guy wrote:

> The most important element is speaker emulation.  Without it distorted
> guitars have that 'wasp in jam jar' sound.  Fortunately there is a
> great LADSPA plug-in for this in Tim Goetze's excellent caps plug-in
> suite.  Put this (it calls itself cabinet emulation)  in a LADSPA
> effects chain after the pre-amp/distortion effect of choice & before
> your reverb/delay of choice & choose which speaker sound to use
> according to taste & which axe is plugged in.  I have been thrilled
> with the results.  I am away from my Linux Music box at the mo, if you
> are interested I will put up exactly what chain I use when I can get
> to check it out.
>
> Hope this helps
>
> Guy (  hopefully putting the axe into Linaxe ;0)   )
>
> Juan Marcelo Rodríguez wrote:

>> Hello guys,
>>    Im a keyboardist, and Im working everyday composing and recording
>> my songs using ardour as the center of my records.
>>
>> I have a Korg synth, and I haven't problems with the songs, I have
>> enough patchs as  I need to use: piano, strings, synths, etc's,
>> because those sounds are great for me. The question is, that I need to
>> record some riffs, or some *strong* chords with guitars and I cannot
>> get a realistic and big sound for that.

While I wholeheartedly second the suggestion to use Tim Goetze's CAPS
plugins for Amp/Cabinet simulation for guitar, if you are planning to
use keyboard to do guitar chords, I'm not sure that you'll ever find the
right patches that will sound right. In my experience, the only way to
get good guitar is with a guitar. I'm also a sax player and I have had
good luck find soundfonts for tenor and alto that are passable, but I've
never been happy with any electric guitar soundfonts.

Regards,
Bill