[linux-audio-user] Re: The best distro for music creation

Jay Vaughan jayv at synth.net
Thu Dec 15 07:30:41 EST 2005

>*We use our machines for high end audio and development first, but
>it's funny how a well tuned linux box can outpreform a windows box
>in that game.

hey, i think the hottest use of linux for video gaming right now is
in devices like the gp2x .. you wanna see how well linux can do
gaming, just get one of these hot little boxes .. http://gbax.com/

i think the old argument 'you cant play games on linux' is well and
truly dead, and the argument 'you cant do audio/video on linux' is
also, extremely crufty.  so for me the answer to the 'best distro for
linux to do _blah_' is, and always has been, the one you roll
yourself and share with your friends.

and to do that you need hardware.  right now, machines like the gp2x,
cheap, battery powered and powerful, represent some pretty nice linux
hardware ..

and, get this, headsup you jackd types, usb-audio gadget drivers on
this box means you've suddenly got, for a hundred bucks, two 200mhz
processors you can apply to synthesis/audio/sound .. oh, and the
requisite streaming mass storage, and a bit of 'ram, of course .. ;)

for me, the desktop is dead.  good riddance!

--

;

Jay Vaughan