OT: Accelerated 3D GFX cards with Free drivers (was Re: [linux-audio-user] Re: The best distro for music creation)

Dmitry Baikov dsbaikov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 15 11:30:31 EST 2005

> Yea, it won't give you insane framerates with OpenGL.  But if you are> looking for a 3D capable card, with awesome drivers, there is no> substitute.
The really bad thing is, that no cards except for modern NVIDIA's andATI's support GLSL and programmable shading in general. AFAIK, ATIdrivers works much worse than NVIDIA ones. So if you want to processvideo/3d using modern technologies you have no choice - NVIDIA only.
And yes, it has direct implications on media art. Take a look at newversion of Jitter (Max/MSP addon) or Quartz Composer on MacOS X. Theyall use GPU to process video.
Moreover, I am very sceptical on possibility to create such a GPU in aopen source way.If only nvidia/ati opened their driver sources...
--Dmitry