[linux-audio-user] RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface firmware loading problem

Matt Kleffner kleffner at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 12:21:25 EST 2005

Hello,

Previously I could load the firmware onto my RME Multiface, but I
haven't used it for a few months. I recently reinstalled debian sarge
on my machine, but I can no longer get the firmware to load. I found
previous emails on this problem but I found no clear solution. I am
using a 2.6.14.3 kernel with the alsa drivers compiled as modules, and
the drivers are newer than the buggy (for RME) 1.0.8 versions. I've
also put snd_hdsp in my initrd image as mentioned in
http://lalists.stanford.edu/lad/2005/11/0149.html

The version info and error messages are listed below. Any thoughts on
what is wrong? Does the firmware and hdsploader version (1.0.9rc3)
have to match the alsa driver version (1.0.10rc1)? Did I miss a
solution on this or another list? Any help is appreciated.

 - Matt

Kernel messages at boot time:
Hammerfall-DSP: wait for FIFO status <= 0 failed after 30 iterations
Hammerfall-DSP: couldn't get firmware from userspace. try using hdsploader
Hammerfall-DSP: card initialization pending : waiting for firmware

Results from hdsploader:
hdsploader - firmware loader for RME Hammerfall DSP cards
Looking for HDSP + Multiface or Digiface cards :
Card 0 : VIA 82C686A/B rev50 with ICE1232 at 0xa800, irq 9
Card 1 : RME Hammerfall DSP at 0xdd000000, irq 9
Upload firmware for card hw:1
Hwdep ioctl error on card hw:1 : Input/output error.

lspci | grep Hammerfall:
0000:00:0a.0 Multimedia audio controller: Xilinx Corporation RME
HammerfallDSP(rev 32)

cat /proc/asound/version:
Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version 1.0.10rc1 (Mon Sep 12
08:13:092005 UTC).

hdsploader source:
alsa-firmware-loaders deb package, AGNULA, package version 1.0.9rc3-0

firmware (from alsa-firmware-1.0.9rc3.tar.bz2):
multiface_firmware.bin
multiface_firmware_rev11.bin