[linux-audio-user] Looking for soundcard.

Ivo Vangerven ivangerven at skynet.be
Sun Dec 18 11:47:44 EST 2005

Hi Louis,
We recently experimented with some interfaces in the framework of  a paper I
had to write for an Audio Engineer course.
As far as FireWire is concerned, there is the FreeBoB project others
referred to. But thought you can find some reports of working setups on
their site, I think this is still pretty much a developers' thing (they are
at the pre-alpha version).
We personally tried the Tascam-US122 over USB 1. It has two balanced
mic/line inputs with pre-amp and 48V phantom power on 1/4 TRS jack or XLR,
the jack inputs impedance can be switched for guitar/bass input, and there
is a TRS insert point on each channel. It has no RCA-inputs (but that's
quickly fixed via the line-in), but it does have RCA output. There's MIDI
in/out, but no digital audio connections.
It was a bit of a hassle to get it up and running (we are running the
lastest version of DeMuDi), but we got it working for audio in/out (when
using jack, increasing the Periods/buffer parameter from 2 to 10 made the
audio free of distortion. With the -default?- setting of 2, it sounded
horrible). Till now, we couldn't get it working for MIDI in/out.
Rgds,
Ivo Vangerven