[linux-audio-user] Re: extract and mix

LinuxMedia linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Mon Dec 19 17:14:51 EST 2005

Brad Fuller wrote:
 >>> I couldn't find a way to do this in ecasound, maybe there's a way to
 >>> do it. Here's what I want to do:
 >>>
 >>> Find the exact length of a audio file in ms. I think ecalength can do
 >>> this, I know it's not sample accurate, but I just need down to the
 >>> around 1ms. Maybe there's another option other than ecalength.
 >>>
 >>> Then, I want to extract a section of another file: at a specific
 >>> location in ms at a length of the file above.
 >>>
 >>> Then, mix that extracted segment with another file and save the
 >>> result to a new file.  How can this be done? I don't know of a
 >>> utility that can extract a specific length at a specific location
in ms.

This should work...

bash> ecalength LengthFile.wav
LengthFile.wav: 9.083s           (0m9s)

bash> ecasound -i:ExtractFrom.wav -y:(StartPosition) -t:9.083
-o:Extracted.wav

bash> ecasound -a:1 -i:Extracted.wav -a:2 -i:MixWith.wav -a:1,2
-o:BothFilesMixed.wav

Of course, this gets tricky if any of the files in question have
different channel counts, bit depths, sampling rates or are of different
file types. It still can be done, but there will be other interm steps
involved. But in a best case scenerio, the above should work.

Let me know if this how it went....
Rocco