[linux-audio-user] FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Brett McCoy idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Tue Dec 20 00:59:46 EST 2005

Sean Edwards wrote:
> This may be anti-open, but here it goes.  I think if
> you want to copyright a piece of music in the U.S.A,
> it needs to be in standard music notation.  This
> requirement may be a Library of Congress requirement,
> but I am not sure.

Not sure what you mean, but copyrighting music does not require it to be
in standard notation, AFAIK. If you mean 'publishing' music, I don't
think standard notation is required either -- a book of guitar tablature
is considered published music, which is why online tablature sites are
still getting harassed by the music publishing industry.

And IIRC, only melodies and lyrics can be copyrighted -- harmonies and
song titles can't.  (Hmmmm... what about counterpoint? Does that cont as
harmony or melody in the view of copyright laws?)

-- Brett