[linux-audio-user] FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

I. I. Ooisen ii001001 at yahoo.ca
Tue Dec 20 01:56:49 EST 2005

On Tuesday 20 December 2005 07:55, Noah Roberts wrote:
> On 12/19/05, I. I. Ooisen <ii001001 at yahoo.ca> wrote:
> > is it because noteedit is a kde app and most of us are gnome
> > supporters?
>
> localhost mp3 # emerge -pv noteedit
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kde-env-3-r4  0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/arts-3.4.3  +alsa -arts -artswrappersuid
> -debug +esd -hardened +jack -kdeenablefinal +mp3 -nas +vorbis
> -xinerama 922 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] media-libs/tse3-0.2.7  +alsa -arts -oss 589 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.4.3  +alsa -arts +cups -debug -doc
> -jpeg2k -kdeenablefinal -kerberos -openexr +spell +ssl +tiff
> -xinerama -zeroconf 16,482 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] media-libs/taglib-1.4  -debug 715 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/libkcddb-3.4.3  -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal
> (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 5,366 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kioslaves-3.4.3  -arts -debug
> +encode +flac -kdeenablefinal (-kdexdeltas) +mp3 +vorbis -xinerama 0
> kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kfile-plugins-3.4.3  -arts
> -debug -kdeenablefinal (-kdexdeltas) -theora +vorbis -xinerama 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-kappfinder-data-3.4.3  -arts
> -debug -kdeenablefinal (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kmid-3.4.3  -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal
> (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kmix-3.4.3  +alsa -arts -debug
> -kdeenablefinal (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/mpeglib-3.4.1  -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal
> (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 5,417 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kscd-3.4.3  -arts -debug -kdeenablefinal
> (-kdexdeltas) -xinerama 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] kde-base/kdemultimedia-meta-3.4.3  -arts +xine 0 kB
> [ebuild  N    ] media-sound/noteedit-2.6.2  -arts -debug
> -kdeenablefinal -xinerama 1,817 kB
>
> Total size of downloads: 31,312 kB
>

> I have to admit that is definately a point against it.  Even with
> emerge I'm not that interested in adding all that crap to my system
> right now.

so it's just as i was supposing, it's mostly because it's a kde
application...

but hey, if you install rosegarden, you don't have to install all that
crap to your system. not because of noteedit, that is ;)
(which makes your "point against [noteedit]" pretty much irrelevant)

or you don't use rosegarden either?
(which pretty much makes *you* irrelevant to the LAU list) (just
teasing, really!) :D

sorry for the way i *had* to put it, i actually just liked the word
play... heh...

NOW SERIOUSLY:

the way i see it packed under portage is a point against GENTOO, not
against NOTEEDIT. really!

i didn't have to apt-get kappfinder in order to use noteedit or anything
like kdemultimedia (also kmid, or kmix, or arts, or mpeglib, or kscd?!?
-- GENTOO REALLY SCARES ME HERE... I HAD BETTER OPINIONS ON IT!)

(and yes, i *know* what i am talking about; of kde, debian uses *only*
kdelibs, which is a nice way debian deals with kde apps.)

maybe you should switch to debian? ;)
don't get me wrong on this, i myself very much appreciate the gentoo
project... i am even planning to try it...

but i am not sure i'll try it anymore... the way you imply gentoo deals
with kde apps kills all my enthusiasm about gentoo... i know kde is
bloatware, but the way you imply gentoo deals with it makes it...
scareware.