[linux-audio-user] FOLKS, PAY ATTENTION TO NOTEEDIT, the score editor!

Brett McCoy idragosani at chapelperilous.net
Tue Dec 20 08:53:08 EST 2005

I. I. Ooisen wrote:

>>I doubt it's a KDE issue, either, since Rosegarden (the *other* score
>>editor) is also a KDE application.
>

> rosegarden is not a score editor and will *hopefully* never be. remember
> each tool has some specific purposes. score editing is not what
> rosegarden is supposed to do.

You should tell the Rosegarden developers that because they make the
claim on the website that it is a score editor. :-) Granted, Rosegarden
is missing some stuff that NoteEdit probably has (multiple voices per
staff, easy insertion/deletion of measures), but Rosegarden has always
worked "out of the box" for me, which is why I use it, whereas NoteEdit
was problematic (see below).

> i hate combos. and perhaps all gnu/linuxists should. :)
>
> rosegarden should deal best with the way music sounds, not with the way
> music looks.
>

>>I use Rosegarden extensively for score editing.
>

> have you tried noteedit?

Yes, I have tried it. It kept crashing on me, and I had trouble getting
it to find my MIDI devices (the TSE3 library, I think, was the issue, it
was segfaulting on startup), and refused to import any of my MIDI files.
It doesn't support Jack either, which is crucial for the setup I am
using for composing and recording.

-- Brett