[linux-audio-user] U.S. Copyright: was FOLKS, PAY......

R Parker rtp405 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 20 13:12:43 EST 2005

Hi,

>     Sorry, but this is incorrect.  Since 1998 any
> piece of music that has been
> published (this is a very loose term which includes
> putting it on a CD and
> handing it to a friend) is automatically
> copyrighted.  You may register this
> copyright with the US Copyright Office but this is
> not required.  If you do wish
> to register the copyright all you need is a cassette
> tape and a copy of the
> lyrics (if any).

Copyright registration has been on my mind lately. I
believe single and bulk (album) song registrations
cost $30.00. That is expensive when you consider how
the internet has shaped publishing and distribution.

Any of us can write, publish and distribute a song in
a single day. I don't think anyone wants to pay $30.00
for every registration.

The $30.00 registration purchases legally acceptable
evidence of ownership that is presentable in a court
of law. It is a record of proof but it's not
exclusive.

We used to do the poor man's registration by mailing
evidence, songs on a cassette with lyrics, back to
ourselves in a registered U.S. Postal package. That's
more affordable but inconvienant.

I want to publish with a free service on the internet
that establishes an equivalent to the poor man's
registration. Is this happening yet?

ron